Pictures

Pictures

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pumpkin Trifle Recipe

I have wanted a trifle dish for the past couple of years after regretting not registering one for our wedding. At the time it didn't cross my mind and as I began to cook more, and of course thanks to some   Pinspiration (inspiration from none other than Pinterest!) it became something I longed for. While going through my late grandmother's belongings, I acquired her trifle dish, and began to think of all the yummy possibilities that were in my near future.

After having the dish for over a month and still not having used it I decided to make a yummy pumpkin bread trifle to bring to Thanksgiving. I was ecstatic and couldn't wait to make it. It turned out so amazing that I wanted to share the recipe!

Pumpkin Trifle

Buy some pumpkin bread or Trader Joe's box Pumpkin bread and muffin mix (which is what I did). Cut the bread into cubes.

Buy a can of Sweetened Condensed Milk and boil completely covered for 2 hours (make sure the can is completely covered at all times. Do not let the water even get to the top of the can or it can explode!) I cooked mine for about 2 1/2 hours just to make sure since it was my first time. You need to keep watching the water level to make sure that it is always higher. That was probably the hardest part of this  recipe. I was VERY excited to try this. Once it has boiled pull it out with tongs and set aside to cool off. Once it has cooled place it in the fridge.

You can buy candied walnuts or I made my own by turning a pan on medium heat and toasting them slightly and then poured about a 1/4 cup of sugar with a cup of chopped walnuts and a dash of salt and some cinnamon. I stirred frequently especially when the sugar started to melt, until the nuts were coated and then took off the stove to cool and set aside.

I used a can of organic pumpkin and mixed some cinnamon and a dash of vanilla extract.

I bought a box of storable whipping cream from Trader Joe's to use as a layer. Make sure you store this in the fridge at least 6 hours before you want to make it! I whipped it up with a teaspoon of brown sugar, a dash of vanilla and some pumpkin pie spice. It didn't whip up as nicely as I hoped it would, but I didn't beat up on myself too much because this was my first time using whipping cream.

I layered the pumpkin bread with the candied walnuts drizzled some caramel and topped with canned pumpkins. Then added another layer of bread, nuts and caramel. For the final layer I mixed the rest of the canned pumpkin with the whipping cream to make a pumpkin mousse. Then topped with the rest of nuts and drizzled some caramel. The dessert was a hit, so fun to make and doesn't it just look beautiful! Grammy would be proud! This recipe will definitely be made again!

Disclaimer:  Please note: I am not a medical professional. Please use your careful discernment and double check with your naturopath or doctor before taking any vitamins or supplements

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.











2 comments:

  1. Hi Victoria, thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm your newest follower :)

    - Erin xo

    365mu.blogspot.co.uk - One girl's attempt at creating 365 different make-up looks in as many days

    ReplyDelete