- Prenatal Vitamins should be taken when a woman decides that she wants to try and become pregnant. This supplement helps to ensure the body is getting enough nutrients to support a growing baby.
- Vitamin C is essential for both men and women when trying to conceive. It is shown to improve sperm count, mobility and viability. Vitamin C can be found in most fruits such as strawberries, kiwi, red peppers, pineapple, etc.
- Folic Acid or Folate belongs to the B Vitamin Group. This has been shown to prevent birth defects, but is also important in improving fertility in both men and women. Food sources rich in folate include green leafy vegetables, oranges and enriched grains. It is important to continue to take Folic Acid in early pregnancy to prevent serious neural defects by up to 70%
- Zinc improves the production of testosterone in men which helps sperm mobility and count and helps the woman's body to use estrogen and progesterone more efficiently. Sources of Zinc include meat and seafood, wheat germ and whole grains.
- Evening Primrose oil is rich in Vitamin E and the essential fatty acid GLA. It helps to increase the woman's cervical mucus which helps create a more successful environment for sperm to swim to the egg and also allows sperm to stay alive for up to 5 days, which can enable conception even if intercourse doesn't happen again by the time ovulation occurs. Once pregnant you will want to discontinue use of these supplement, but hold on to it, because it is essential to use the last couple weeks of your pregnancy.
- Vitamin B6 and B12 are also beneficial to conception. These vitamins help to increase sperm count and play a key role in the development of new tissue, which helps during ovulation. These B vitamins are found in eggs, meat and grains.
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but before I end this post I wanted to share some knowledge that I wish I would have known before I started my baby making journey. I wish someone had told me, or that I would have researched for myself, how common miscarriages are. They happen 50% of the time. I know first hand because unfortunately, I suffered a miscarriage before both of my beautiful children. No matter how early in the pregnancy miscarriages are a very emotional time for both the mommy & daddy to be. Just the excitement of being pregnant, and envisioning your future with the child can be very hard when the pregnancy doesn't work out. As cliche as it sounds, everything happens for a reason. Miscarriages are actually a good thing because it is your body's way of getting rid of something that did not have the greatest chance of survival. But it doesn't make them any less upsetting. If you do have the misfortune of suffering a miscarriage it is important to remain positive because it means that you do have the ability to get pregnant. You can use this time to get your body healthy and ready to try again, and know that you are most fertile for 3 months after your miscarriage, so you can have fun trying to make another baby!
Disclaimer: Please note: I am not a medical professional. Please use your careful discernment and double check with your naturopath or doctor before taking any vitamins or supplements
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment